Corporate Counsel, Global Selling – Marketplace
Amazon's Legal Department is looking for a smart and talented business lawyer to support our rapidly growing and evolving marketplace business in India. This is an individual contributor position based in Bangalore. Some domestic and international travel may be required. The Corporate Counsel will report to the Senior Corporate Counsel.
In this role, you will counsel our Global Selling and Out Of Country Seller businesses on a broad range of legal matters involving foreign direct investment, trade policies, product compliance, information technology and intellectual property laws. You will be primarily responsible for advising on cutting-edge business initiatives; providing day-to-day corporate and business law counseling; conducting legal review and structuring of business programs and products; advising on procedural, compliance matters; and resolving issues that arise in existing commercial relationships and pre-litigation legal disputes. You will also be involved in structuring, drafting and negotiating day to day as well as complex high value contracts. You will work independently with various business teams, serving as counsel for development and launch of key seller and brand programs for Amazon.in marketplace.
In doing your job, you will work in close coordination with global legal teams and external counsel. You will closely coordinate with the global legal teams and outside counsel. In addition to business teams, you will lead initiatives in liaison with tax, litigation, finance, public relations and public policy teams.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome professionals with diverse experiences and backgrounds.
Estimated Bifurcation of Essential Functions
· Structure, draft and evaluate new engagement models for Global Selling business. Continuously work with business teams to review existing models with intent to simplify them on ongoing basis. (50%)
· Provides day-to-day legal advice on related marketplace business. (25%)
· Work with legal leadership and team members to develop practice standards and department processes, effectively communicate legal and policy issues in a timely and proactive manner. (10%)
· Lead and liaise on cross-functional initiatives with litigation, public policy, public relations and tax teams. (10%)
· Work with stakeholders to keep policies current and impart legal training to stakeholders. (5%)
· LLB in India or equivalent law degree in other common law jurisdiction.
· Company Secretarial certification and practice experience in India.
· 6+ years of legal experience(with several years of experience at a leading law firm and/or in-house)
· Competence in broad range of corporate and business laws, especially in laws related to technology, product compliance, consumer protection, FMCG sector, e-commerce, intellectual property, metrology and overall compliance.
· A mix of corporate law firm and in-house experience in India
· Experience in advising multi-national companies and businesses operating at scale
· Organizational skills and the ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects, smartly prioritize and meet stringent deadlines.
· Demonstrated ability to analyze and assess business processes/products, spot issues and structure practical solutions.