Corporate Counsel, Seller Services – Marketplace
Amazon's Legal Department is looking for a smart and talented business lawyer to support our rapidly growing and evolving marketplace business in India. This is an individual contributor position based in Bangalore. Some domestic and international travel may be required. The Corporate Counsel will report to the Senior Corporate Counsel.
In this role, you will counsel our seller services, brand relations, marketplace trust and tech businesses on a broad range of legal matters involving foreign direct investment, competition, product compliance, consumer protection, Legal Metrology, information technology and intellectual property laws. You will be primarily responsible for advising on cutting-edge business initiatives; providing day-to-day corporate and business law counseling; conducting legal review and structuring of business programs and products; advising on procedural, compliance matters; and resolving issues that arise in existing commercial relationships and pre-litigation legal disputes. You will also be involved in structuring, drafting and negotiating day to day as well as complex high value contracts. You will work independently with various business teams, serving as counsel for development and launch of key seller and brand programs for Amazon.in marketplace.
In doing your job, you will work in close coordination with global legal teams and external counsel. You will closely coordinate with the global legal teams and outside counsel. In addition to business teams, you will lead initiatives in liaison with tax, litigation, finance, public relations and public policy teams.
Estimated Bifurcation of Essential Functions
· Structure, draft and evaluate new engagement models for different business. Continuously work with business teams to review existing models with intent to simplify them on ongoing basis. (50%)
· Provides day-to-day legal advice on marketplace (seller and brand protection) business. (25%)
· Work with legal leadership and team members to develop practice standards and department processes, effectively communicate legal and policy issues in a timely and proactive manner. (10%)
· Lead and liaise on cross-functional initiatives with litigation, public policy, public relations and tax teams. (10%)
· Work with stakeholders to keep policies current and impart legal training to stakeholders. (5%)
Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
· Law degree (LLB) from a leading university or law school
· 8+ years of legal experience (with several years of experience at a leading law firm and/or in-house at a large organization employing large number of employees).
· Company Secretarial certification and practice experience in India
· A mix of corporate law firm and in-house experience in India is a plus
· Experience in advising multi-national companies and businesses operating at scale
· Excellent organizational skills and the ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects, smartly prioritize and meet stringent deadlines.